The Accreditation Scheme sets out nationally-agreed standards, which inspire the confidence of the public and funding and governing bodies.
It helps everyone involved with a museum to do the right things, helping people to access and engage with collections, and protect them for future generations.
The Accreditation Scheme does this by making sure museums manage their collections properly, engage with visitors, and are governed appropriately by encouraging all museums and galleries to meet an agreed standard in:
- how they’re run
- how they manage their collections
- how they engage with their users
The scheme is managed as a UK Partnership between Arts Council England (ACE), the Welsh Government, Museums Galleries Scotland and Northern Ireland Museums Council. It is run for museums and galleries of all sizes and types across the UK.
New to Accreditation?
Find out more here.
Here’s an Accreditation checklist:
Please note: the new returns schedule is still in development and not yet publicly available. Once the new returns schedule is published, ACE will announce it in its quarterly museums newsletter, on the Accreditation webpage and through West Midlands Museum Development (WMMD) and our fellow Museum Development networks.
Familiarise yourself with the requirements:
- The Standard and guidance is available from the ACE website here
Treat Accreditation as a process not an event:
- By using and reviewing your policies, plans and procedures your paperwork will always be up to date
Get advice and support:
- For regular Accreditation news, keep in touch with us, the West Midlands Museum Development team. Contact us by email. Encourage your colleagues to sign up to our mailing list via our website to find out about any Accreditation updates.
- Watch Accreditation webinars via the MDUK website here. There are five webinars – one for each of the three sections of the Accreditation Standard, one that covers the processes (including Grantium for Accreditation) and one for museums completely new to the scheme.
- Olivia Basterfield, WMMD’s Accreditation lead, offers bookable one hour Accreditation surgeries. These are a great opportunity to seek tailored advice and support. Book your surgery here via Eventbrite.
Do your homework:
- Address any recommendations resulting from your previous return
Create an account: