West Midlands Museum Development and East Midlands Museum Development have joined forces to host this event for museums across the Midlands.
Navigating through the disposals process can feel very daunting. This session will take a scenario-based approach to explore a variety of disposals issues and themes including collections management and documentation, legal and ethical considerations.
Small groups will be given the opportunity to discuss a different scenario and will then feedback thoughts and questions to a panel for open discussion. Delegates will be asked to submit a scenario before the session. All scenarios will be anonymised.
Join our panel of experts who will help you to find a successful path; Sarah Brown (Collections Trust), Alistair Brown (Museums Association), Anita Hollinshead (Museum Development East Midlands) and Professor Janet Ulph (Department of Museums Studies, Leicester University).
Who should attend?
Those involved in decision making and/ or management of disposals including staff, volunteers and trustees.
By the end of the session you will
- Have an understanding of the legal, ethical and collections management considerations involved in disposals
- Know where to find further guidance about disposals
- Feel more confident when dealing with and discussing disposals with sector colleagues
This session supports the Museum Accreditation Standard
- 4.2 A policy approved by the governing body for developing collections including acquisitions and disposals
- 5.1 An approved documentation policy
- 5.2 To follow the primary SPECTRUM documentation standards
Places are limited to two delegates per organisation. Priority will be given to delegates from non-NPO and non-National museums in the West Midlands which are Accredited or officially Working Towards Accreditation.
The webinar will be live captioned.
All participants will receive an email containing a Zoom link prior to the event. The email will be sent to the email address used for booking. If you have not received an email by the day before the event please contact us.
If the booking button isn’t visible the event is fully booked. If you would like to join the waiting list please email firstname.lastname@example.org