Are your in-house instructions in a clear and useable format?
Have you recorded key information about historic cataloguing systems, old numbering systems and policies?
This session will firstly explore how to develop or review your procedures manual. We will also look at how to gather and record information about the history of your documentation systems, and the potential benefits of this information.
We will explore this topic using elements from the Collections biography toolkit developed by Museum Development Yorkshire, alongside Collections Trust’s guidance about developing procedures manuals:
By the end of the session, delegates will:
- Understand the importance of a procedures manual and how to produce one.
- Understand the benefits of capturing the history of your museum’s documentation systems.
- Understand the types of information you can include in a documentation history and how to identify sources of information.
- Begin to think about how your organisation might approach capturing and recording this history.
Before the session:
- Think about how you do things in your museum, referring to any written information about your museum’s current and previous documentation systems. You might also find it useful to have this with you to refer to during the session.
- Please check that you have a working microphone, for discussions.
Maximum two delegates per organisation.
These online events will be auto-captioned by Zoom. If you would benefit from live captioning or any other form of access support, please answer ‘yes’ to the access requirements question on the booking form and email the WMMD team as early as possible stating the support you require.
All participants will receive an email containing a Zoom link to the training prior to the event. The email will be sent to the email address used for booking. If you have not received an email the day before the event please contact us.
If you can’t see the booking button, this event is fully booked. To join the waiting list please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Getting Your House in Order – Documentation Histories and Manuals
Wednesday 21 February, 2pm-4pm