West Midlands Museum Development (WMMD) is working with Jane Thompson-Webb, Conservation Team Leader at Birmingham Museum Trust to deliver three collections care training sessions in museums across the West Midlands.
This is a great opportunity to host training in your museum for staff and volunteers whether they work directly with collections, as trustees, as part of the front of house or learning team or in administration. The training can be used as a refresher, as an opportunity to learn new skills or as a more in-depth session on a particular subject area. We want to make the training as relevant to your site as possible. There will be opportunities to use your own collections as part of the day and to get on site advice from Jane.
What are we offering?
One day of training on one of the following areas; Handling, Packing and Moving Collections (this can include object marking), Conservation for Dummies, Integrated Pest Management (including identification and control), Environmental Monitoring and Control, Stop the Rot: 10 Agents of Decay, Hazards in Museum Collections, Disaster Planning.
What does the host museum need to do?
- Complete an Expression of Interest form
- Host the training event and provide refreshments
- Make a minimum of five places available to other organisations
Terms and Conditions
- Dates will need to be agreed with Jane and WMMD
- Courses are limited to a total of 15 places
- Host organisations should provide refreshments and where possible lunch
- Use examples from their own collections to support the training
- Submission of a report after the training
Successful museums will be contacted by 19 July.