Review of year one of the 2015 – 2018 West Midlands Museum Development (WMMD) programme, funded by Arts Council England; although the team only came into post in October 2015 it certainly made an impact.
In a four month period the team has delivered a range of programmes to help regional museums build resilience. These have included:-
- How to Engage Young People with Museums
- Broadening Digital Horizons
- Collection Care training workshops
- Objects of Significance – working with an artist on donation boxes
- Expert Eye – working with specialists in ethnography, ceramics and agricultural collections
- A series of ‘Training Together’ workshops to develop peer to peer networks
- Dealing with Change programme for senior leaders within museums
- Open to All – a programme to encourage diversity and equality within museums from Trustees, paid staff, volunteers and visitors
- 22 events attended by 161 individuals, representing 60 museums
- ‘Fresh Perspectives’ a two day conference attracting 170 museum professionals
- 14 museums participating in a Mystery Shopper programme
- Two grants schemes distributed over £152k to 20 museums
- Commissioned two separate reports into, Orphaned Collections within Local Authority Museums and the Need for Rationalisation within Archaeological Collections
- Over 20 e-newsletters/ updates distributed (excluding Fresh Perspectives bulletins)
- Team has networked with over 60 external partners
- 98% feedback across all events and workshops rated as excellent (73%) or good (25%)
170 delegates took part in ‘Fresh Perspectives’ a two day conference part of Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust’s Major Partner Museum and Museum Development programmes to help build resilience. Delegates participated in interactive workshops and listened to discussions on Fundraising, Diversity and Commercialising Collections. Delegates represented approximately 24 accredited museums and 4 Major Partner Museums from across the region.
‘A very good mix of theory and practice. Thank you so much for making it affordable for us to be here’
‘Very useful and inspiring. (found a) sense of solidarity with current situation’
‘Useful guidance on fund raising and funding applications’
‘Really enjoyed the day and found it inspiring already thinking about new possibilities’
‘All speakers were engaging. Venue and hospitality was second to none’
Our approach will be slightly ‘calmer’ in 2016 – 2017 and we will be able to give you more notice for events and activities…. but we will still be busy! Along with our core programmes of work we will be:-
- Working closely with the Collections Trust
- Launching a Volunteer Portal for the region
- Involved in the National Museum Development Conference
- Introducing a new ‘Dragon’s Den’ format
- Opening the second Small Grant Scheme
- Celebrating and recognising the hard work and commitment of volunteers with the launch of West Midlands Museum Development Volunteer Awards
- AND importantly we will respond to what museums in the West Midlands need, to help them thrive and flourish – so keep in touch with your Museum Development Team.
So over to you…
We are currently planning activity for April 2017-March 2018 and would like your museum to get involved. If you have any specific training needs please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your suggestions.
12.08.16 West Midlands Volunteer Awards 2016 – Finalists Announced!
12.08.16 West Midlands Volunteer Awards 2016 – Finalists Announced! PDF Version
15.07.16 West Midlands Volunteer Awards – Don’t Forget to Nominate!
15.07.16 West Midlands Volunteer Awards – Don’t Forget to Nominate! PDF Version
30.06.16 Kids in Museums Takeover Day 2016 Planning and Sharing Event
30.06.16 Kids in Museums Takeover Day 2016 Planning and Sharing Event PDF Version
22.06.16 How Do I Look? Final Speaker Announced!
22.06.16 How Do I Look? Final Speaker Announced! PDF Version
17.06.16 How Do I Look? – New Speaker Announced!
17.06.16 How Do I Look? – New Speaker Announced! PDF Version
05.02.16 Regional Conference Thursday 17 and Friday 18 March
Regional Conference 17 and 18 March PDF Version
30-10-15 Second Edition PDF Version
12-10-15 First Edition PDF Version
Banner Image © Lee Allen 2016