This is the first of seven workshops delivered by West Midlands Museum Development (WMMD) in partnership with Museum Development East Midlands and Collections Trust to support you in ensuring that your collections documentation is well managed.
Using the framework of Spectrum 5.1 and its collection documentation procedures, the workshops, known collectively as Getting your House in Order, will focus on the planning and work required for museums to get their collections documentation in order. Good collections documentation enables use of your collections and ensures that your museum is properly accountable for the collections it holds.
The programme has been designed so that you can attend as many of the sessions as you need; overall they complement each other to give an overview of the Spectrum requirements, but each session also works as a stand alone workshop. Find out more about the other workshops.
About the Introduction to Spectrum workshop
This session will offer an introduction to the Spectrum standard, and will put into context the Spectrum procedures covered in the other workshops in the programme. We will discuss the Spectrum guidance and how it might be used by an organisation. The session will give an overview of the Spectrum 5.1 primary procedures and update attendees about the recent general changes to Spectrum, including changes to language.
It will also focus on policy development, and the difference and relationship between plans, policies and procedures.
There will be opportunities to ask questions during the session, as well as share ideas with other attendees.
By the end of the session, delegates will:
- Understand what the Spectrum standard is, and how it might be applied within their museum
- Understand the role of the Spectrum standard in relation to museum Accreditation
- Understand recent changes to Spectrum
- Understand the role of policy and where to find information to develop policies
- Know where to find more information and guidance
Before the session:
- Read the introduction to Spectrum https://collectionstrust.org.uk/spectrum/spectrum-5/
- Think about how you do things in your museum, referring to your in-house procedural manual if you have access to it. You might also find it useful to have it with you to refer to during the session
Maximum two delegates per organisation.
This event will be auto-captioned through Zoom. If you would benefit from any other form of access support, including live captioning, please answer ‘yes’ to the access requirements question on the booking form and email the WMMD team as early as possible stating the support you require.
All participants will receive an email containing a Zoom link to the training prior to the event. The email will be sent to the email address used for booking. If you have not received an email the day before the event please contact us.
If you can’t see the booking button the event is fully booked. If you would like to join the waiting list please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction to Spectrum
Thursday 4 May, 2pm-4pm