Museum Development East Midlands and West Midlands Museum Development are running three Midlands-wide workshops with Collections Trust.
This first session will explore the Spectrum Cataloguing procedure and discuss Collection Trust’s recent changes to the procedure, including the reasons for change, process of consultation and outcomes.
We will be considering themes that include: how we gather, record and prioritise information; who contributes and is responsible for information; access and users; capturing alternative perspectives; building documentation histories.
There will be opportunities to discuss with colleagues and ask questions throughout, as well as signposting to further guidance and examples online.
Attendees will learn:
- How to understand and apply the Spectrum Cataloguing procedure
- What the changes to the Cataloguing procedure are
- How to take a critical approach to cataloguing, to make it a more open, ongoing, multi-layered process
- How to think about internal and external users
- Where to find more information and guidance
Before the session attendees should look at:
- The Spectrum Cataloguing procedure Think about how the organisation stores information and meets the needs of users
- Their organisation’s Documentation Policy. Is there a section about access? What does it say?
Who should attend?
Those responsible for cataloguing and/ or decision making. This session will be particularly helpful for beginners or those looking for a refresher.
Maximum two delegates per organisation. Priority will be given to delegates from non-NPO and non-National museums in the West Midlands which are Accredited or officially Working Towards Accreditation.
If you would benefit from live captioning or any other form of access support, please answer ‘yes’ to the access requirements question on the booking form and email the WMMD team as early as possible stating the support you require.
All participants will receive an email containing a Zoom link to the training prior to the event. The email will be sent to the email address used for booking. If you have not received an email the day before the event please contact us.
Wednesday 18 January, 2pm-4pm
If you can’t see the booking button this event is fully booked. To join the waiting list please email email@example.com> Book Now