Improve equity and inclusion in your museum
West Midlands Museum Development (WMMD) are working with NoBarriers to provide a small cohort of museums with the opportunity to receive professional training, mentoring and peer support to actively improve equity and inclusion across their organisations.
The programme will run between May 2022 and February 2023.
As a result of taking part in the programme, participants will:
- Demonstrate a consistent understanding of Equity and Inclusion and how it relates to their audiences, workforce (paid and voluntary), governance and programmes
- Feel confident about current language to use when discussing Equity and Inclusion
- Identify internal issues and external opportunities and barriers related to Equity and Inclusion and develop the skills to address them
- Demonstrate improved confidence in talking about difficult issues/ topics
- Identify the challenges and/ or barriers within their organisation relating to Equity and Inclusion and develop plans to address these
- Prepare an Equality Action Plan
- Gain a supportive network of colleagues developing their equity and inclusion policy and practice
- Involve their wider organisation in developing their Equality Action Plan
NoBarriers deliver tailored approaches to increasing inclusive and equitable practice in the cultural sector, including training, advice, strategic planning, service review and community engagement.
Isilda Almeida, founder of NoBarriers, works as an Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Consultant in the culture sector and brings with her over 20 years’ experience of the UK heritage sector. Isilda will be supported by Maurice Davies, who brings nearly 40 years of experience in UK museums and galleries as a policymaker, leader and curator. He has championed equity and inclusion since the 1990s when he was editor of Museums Journal. He has advised organisations such as the Greater London Authority, the National Museum Directors Council and the National Trust on aspects of heritage and race. Most recently he has helped Museum Detox with an organisational review and, with Isilda, delivered training on museums, equity and inclusion.
Between them, Isilda and Maurice bring knowledge, professional and lived-experience, current approaches to Equity and Inclusion, contextualised by historical and political events that have shaped how museums got to where they are.
Priority will be given to non-NPO and non-National museums who are Accredited or Working Towards Accreditation and based in the West Midlands.
To discuss your application or find out more about the programme please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit your application by 1pm, Thursday 5 May 2022