Opening conversations and laying the foundations for equity and inclusion at your museum
Working in partnership with NoBarriers this programme aims to support museums in England and Wales to improve their understanding of Equity and Inclusion. The programme will increase participants’ knowledge and skills around the Equity and Inclusion-related issues being faced by people working and volunteering in museums, their communities and audiences. It will support you in having conversations at your museum and in laying strong foundations for taking action.
The programme will have the following outcomes:
- Participating organisations demonstrate a consistent understanding of Equity and Inclusion and how it relates to their audiences, workforce (paid and voluntary), governance and
- Participants feel confident about current language to use when discussing Equity and Inclusion
- Participants identify internal issues and external opportunities and barriers related to Equity and Inclusion and develop the skills to address them
- Participants demonstrate improved confidence in talking about difficult issues/ topics
- Participants understand ways to improve recruitment, access and participation at their museums and develop plans to address these
- Participants identify the challenges and/ or barriers within their organisation relating to Equity and Inclusion and develop plans to address these
- Participants involve the wider workforce in developing these Equity and Inclusion plans
The programme comprises of 10 online sessions running from November 2021 to March 2022 and will support 20 organisations from across seven participating areas; East of England, East Midlands, North East, North West, South West, West Midlands, Wales.
NoBarriers delivers tailored approaches to increasing inclusive and equitable practice in the cultural sector, including training, advice, strategic planning, service review and community engagement.
Who should attend?
This programme has been designed for managers, trustees and decision makers working in museums, galleries and heritage sites who are:
- Keen to prioritise improving equity and inclusion at their organisation
- Committed to reviewing their work around Equity and Inclusion
- Open to new ways of working
- Wanting to embed inclusive practice into all areas of their work
- Able to dedicate time and staff resources to ensure they can benefit from the programme fully
Two members of staff from each participating museum should attend to ensure that they are able to implement decisions and actions more effectively within their organisation.
Your museum must be based in one of the following seven areas: East of England, East Midlands, North East, North West, South West, West Midlands, Wales.
Priority will be given to non NPO museums who are Accredited or Working Towards Accreditation.
This programme requires a minimum commitment of one day every two weeks from November 2021 to March 2022, split between attending sessions, further reading and discussions with teams.
Organisations must be keen to prioritise improving their organisation’s equity and inclusion, commit to attending all sessions and to leading conversations with colleagues in their organisations.
Read the full Programme Details which includes the dates of the sessions.
How to apply
After reviewing your availability to take part, please contact Michelle Davies to discuss further before completing the Expression of Interest (EOI).
The deadline for submitting completed EOIs is 5pm, Thursday 21 October 2021.
MDUK are committed to providing accessible and inclusive opportunities for the sector and have a dedicated budget to address any need. Please outline any details in your EOI.