West Midlands Museum Development (WMMD) and Museum Development UK (MDUK) are thrilled to be working in collaboration with volunteer sector specialists 10GM to offer an intensive Volunteer Development Programme for up to 20 museums from across participating areas in the UK.
This project responds to the dual challenges of a longer-term shifting volunteering workforce in the heritage sector, and the particular strains of the last 18 months due to the pandemic. Through the Museum Development (MD) Annual Museums Survey results, localised surveying through regional teams, and the results of the Spotlight survey in Wales, a clear need has emerged to support organisations to review their operating models to ensure volunteering is sustainable and responsive to the museums needs and the communities they serve.
Programme Aim: To support participating museums to review their volunteering strategy and explore new ways to embed sustainable volunteer development practice tailored to individual organisational needs.
Programme Outcomes: Participating museums will:
- review their operating model and business/ forward plan through the lens of volunteer resourcing
- understand the volunteer skills needed to deliver their operating model
- plan to develop their volunteer workforce through appropriate recruitment, training and resources to meet defined organisational needs
- develop appropriate volunteer policies and procedures
- identify volunteer management roles and responsibilities within the workforce
- embed inclusive practice into volunteer development
- develop an organisation specific action plan for volunteer development
This intensive programme will allow 20 organisations from across the five participating areas; East Midlands, North West, North East, Wales and West Midlands to benefit from hands on support to develop their volunteering practices, through a combination of group sessions, coaching, network building and training.
The programme will run from October 2021 to March 2022, with an expected time-commitment of 2-3 days per month. Additional work will be required to apply learning between sessions.
Please read the programme information before completing the Expression of Interest and returning to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, Friday 1 October
Priority will be given to non-NPO and non-National museums in the West Midlands which are Accredited or officially Working Towards Accreditation.