Succession planning is a crucial element of good governance and Museum Development’s Organisational Health Check 2022/23 highlights succession planning as a key developmental need for many museums.
- Have you considered how the board will manage if one of the trustees decides to leave?
- Have the events of the last few years highlighted gaps on your board and the need for new expertise and experiences?
- Do you know which skills, experience and attitudes are required to enable your museum to flourish and be sustainable?
- Have you thought about the representation on your board, does it reflect a range of views, viewpoints and your audiences?
- Are you fully up to date with your governing document and the rules and terms of office for trustees?
This short programme from Museum Development East Midlands and West Midlands Museum Development will support six museums to consider all elements of good practice in succession planning and enable you to develop a focused and realistic plan for the future. Facilitated by Heather Lomas, it will provide a blend of intensive support to a cohort of museums.
The programme consists of an introductory session and four online sessions including an Introduction to Diversity and Inclusion workshop led by Inclusive Boards.
There will be additional one to one support available, access to a peer support network, provision of resources, links to additional information plus a final peer support meeting in November 2023 to share learning from the programme.
The programme aims to:
- Support museums in developing plans for succession of trustees and boards
- Champion diversity and encourage museums to have a range of people represented on their boards
- Facilitate museums to develop effective plans and procedures for trustee recruitment
- Enable museums to develop equality action plans
- Provide museums with peer group meetings, one to one support, resources and signposting
How to apply
This opportunity is open to six museums in the East Midlands and West Midlands regions who are Accredited or officially Working Towards Accreditation. NPOs and national museums are not eligible. The museums will be selected through a competitive Expression of Interest process.
Please complete the Expression of Interest form by 5pm, Friday 24 March and email to email@example.com
Each organisation should nominate up to three people to be involved, this should include your Chair if possible and other trustees where applicable. If you have any questions about the opportunity, then please email Heather Lomas.
Please note we can only accept applications from those who can commit to attending all the proposed sessions.
Successful applicants will be notified by Friday 31 March.
Please note that MDEM will be managing the application process for both East Midlands and West Midlands. You can view the MDEM data processing policy here.