Kids in Museums has revealed the shortlist of its Family Friendly Museum Award 2023 – including two museums in the West Midlands.
The shortlist for the Family Friendly Museum Award 2023 is:
Best Large Museum
- Horniman Museum and Gardens, London
- Museum of Liverpool
- National Maritime Museum, London
Best Medium Museum
- The Beaney House of Art & Knowledge, Canterbury
- Compton Verney, Warwickshire
- Great North Museum: Hancock, Newcastle upon Tyne
- The MAC, Belfast
Best Small Museum
- Dylan Thomas Centre, Swansea
- National Civil War Centre, Newark
- Royal Cornwall Museum, Truro
- Valence House Museum, Dagenham
- Wolverhampton Art Gallery
Best Accessible Museum
- Cannon Hall Museum, Park and Gardens, Barnsley
- Craven Museum | Skipton Town Hall
- Maidstone Museum
Over the summer holidays, undercover family judges will visit the shortlisted museums and rate them on how well they meet the Kids in Museums Manifesto, a set of guidelines on what makes a great museum visit for all ages. Their experiences will decide a winner for each museum category and an overall winner of the Family Friendly Museum Award 2023 to be announced at an awards ceremony in London in October.
This year, a new award category also recognises innovative and thoughtful projects engaging young people on the topic of the climate emergency and sustainability. The category was open to museum applications only. The museums will present their work over the summer to an expert panel to decide the winner.
Best Youth Project – Climate
- Falmouth Art Gallery – Splanna
- London Transport Museum – Green Skills Hackathon
- Tullie, Carlisle – Once Upon a Planet
This year Kids in Museums celebrates its 20th anniversary. The charity is inviting heritage organisations to take part in a social media moment on 12 July using the hashtag #KidsInMuseums to celebrate what museums provide for children, young people and families ahead of the summer holidays. To get involved, please visit the Kids in Museums website: https://bit.ly/20YearsOfKiM
Follow the Family Friendly Museum Award on social media by following @kidsinmuseums and the hashtag #FamilyFriendlyMuseum.
The Family Friendly Museum Award has been made possible by funding from Arts Council England.