We are delighted to open the WMMD Small Grants 2023.
The Small Grants are part of the West Midlands Museum Development Programme (WMMD) funded by Arts Council England (ACE). There are six different grants within the scheme, three of which are match funded by Art Fund in collaboration with MDUK. This continues the successful partnership between Art Fund and MDUK supporting museums throughout 2020-2023.
The grants will support the continued recovery of the sector, embed good practice and explore new ways of working.
The grants available are:
- Audiences Grant* – to support your audience development, marketing and insight
- Collections Development Grant – to research, interpret and use your collections in new ways
- Collections Management Grant – to enable high quality collections care and management
- Green Museums Grant – to support you to be environmentally responsible
- Resilience Grant* – for activity that supports your financial and organisational resilience
- Workforce Grant* – to support the wellbeing and development of your museum workforce, including paid staff, volunteers and Trustees
*Grants match funded by Art Fund
The deadline for applications is 9am, Monday 10 July 2023
Each of the grants directly relates to one of ACE’s four Investment Principles.
What you need to know about the grant scheme
- You can apply for any amount between £500 and £5,000
- You may only apply for one grant per organisation
- The grant cannot be used for match funding
- The Grant will support Accredited museums or those formally Working Towards Accreditation in the West Midlands
- We will prioritise applications from small to medium sized museums (museums with fewer than 50,000 visitors per annum) that are located in areas of low cultural engagement, where the museum is the main cultural offer in a locality, and/ or where museums that have niche collections outside the larger city institutions
- National Portfolio Organisations and National museums are not eligible to apply
- Museums that have previously received a Reset Grant from WMMD are eligible to apply providing their final report has been submitted
- Please note:
- There is a total budget of £26,000 WMMD funding for open small grants available, and an additional £14,000 Art Fund funding for eligible schemes*
- The deadline for applications is 9am, Monday 10 July 2023
- We encourage applicants to carefully consider the value of their grant requested in order to support as many museums as possible
- We strongly recommend that you discuss your application with a member of the WMMD team before you submit it
*Eligible schemes are Audiences Grant, Resilience Grant and Workforce Grant.
Guidance notes and application form
Select the most appropriate grant for your project after reading the Guidance Notes for each grant.
Supporting your audience development, marketing and insight. It directly relates to ACE’s Inclusivity and Relevance Investment Principle.
To research, interpret and use collections in new ways. It directly relates to ACE’s Ambition and Quality Investment Principle.
To enable high quality collections care and management. It directly relates to ACE’s Ambition and Quality Investment Principle.
To support you to be to be more environmentally responsible. It directly relates to ACE’s Environmental Responsibility Investment Principle.
For activity that supports your financial and organisational resilience. It directly relates to ACE’s Dynamism Investment Principle.
To support the wellbeing and development of your museum workforce, including paid staff, volunteers and Trustees. It directly relates to ACE’s Dynamism Investment Principle.
Bid writing support
We are pleased to offer a small number of 1:1 bid writing support with Jenni Waugh to help you prepare your application. These are available on a first come first served basis. To book a session please email firstname.lastname@example.org.