Aim of the role
This is a key role in providing a warm welcome and high-quality experience for all visitors to the Darby Houses. Guides are essential in helping visitors to engage with the story of the houses and the Darby family in a relaxed and informal way and supporting them if they wish to learn more and explore the houses and collections at a deeper level.
Based at the Darby Houses and volunteering in a flexible manner as required, in both Dale House and Rosehill to provide sufficient cover at each house.
- • To provide a warm and friendly welcome to visitors and to be genuinely interested in helping them to enjoy their visit
- • To develop an in-depth knowledge of the history of the Darby family of Dale House and Rosehill and the collections on display
- • To share factually accurate information with visitors in an engaging way
- • To be aware of and respond to the different learning and engagement styles of visitors
- • To be aware of and respond to the different needs of all visitors, including those with disabilities
- • To work collaboratively and flexibly with other IGMT staff and volunteers in the opening and presentation of the houses
- • To be vigilant in protecting the houses and collections from theft or damage and to advise staff members on site if any issues arise
- • To be familiar with the fire alarm and evacuation procedures and guide all visitors to exits from the building in the event of an emergency
- • To ensure that standards of presentation are maintained on a daily basis
- • To carry out any other duties that may be reasonably requested
A passion and enthusiasm for history, with either formal qualifications and/or relevant experience or a willingness to learn. Educational, teaching skills, heritage volunteering experience would be an advantage.
The Houses will be open from 25 July – 11 September. 1 x Full day 9:45am – 5:15pm per month or 2 x ½ days per month either 9:45am – 1:00pm or 12:45pm – 5:15pm.
All volunteers will be offered an induction and training session covering the history of the houses including the Darby family and the objects on display. Training will also be given on engaging with visitors. Other information and reading material will also be made available to support volunteers in developing their knowledge of the houses.
Senior Curator> Apply Now