Role Title: Volunteer House Follow Guide
Reporting to: Curatorial & Learning Administrator and Security Supervisor
Accountable to: Curator & Head of Learning and Chief Executive.
Weston was the ancestral home to the Earls of Bradford and contains internationally important collections of art and antiques, which reflect the collecting passions of the Newport and Bridgeman families.
All Volunteer House Guides play an important role within the 17th Century House, ensuring that visitors to the have an informative and enjoyable day. Many groups, including families, children, coach parties and corporate groups visit the House during the open season during Easter and School summer holidays and other dates in the year.
Volunteer Follow Guides are required to support House Tour Guides, guiding tour groups around each of the main ground floor rooms in the House in order to make sure the narrative of each room can be delivered to all members of the group by the House Tour Guide. Follow Guides are also required to make sure the collection is preserved and looked after for future generations.
Purpose of Role:
- To welcome and enhance visitors enjoyment of Weston Park
- To direct the public around the visitor route
- To maintain vigilance and awareness with regards the collection for conservation and security purposes
- To present a welcoming and professional image to all visitors
- To be based in the House, working alongside the House Tour Guide to guide groups of visitors
- Support the guide delivering tours as follow guide
- To be pro-active in developing personal knowledge about the history of the House and its contents
- To be aware of other attractions and facilities available on site in order to inform the public
- To care for the collections and items on display by promoting/ensuring their safe and respectful treatment
- To be aware of, and adhere to, all health and safety guidance in place for the benefit of yourself and those around you
- To be aware of any dangerous occurrences and report them promptly
- To be clean, smartly dressed and enthusiastic at all times
- To understand the importance of corporate activities at Weston Park, respecting guests attending these and to share relevant information with visiting members of the public
Days and Hours of involvement:
The House is open Sunday to Tuesday during the open season which runs during Easter and the summer school holidays between. Hours of duty are 12:45 until 5pm. Additional duties may arise during the rest of the year.
- An interest in the area you are volunteering within the historically rich house
- Good diction and articulate, particularly when delivering tours
- Must be reliable and punctual for duty days
- Security conscious
- Friendly, outgoing personality, greeting all visitors with a smile
- Enjoys meeting people
- Customer focused
- Health and Safety aware
Length of your commitment to us:
The length of positions varies according to the circumstances of each person.
Weston Park’s House and Gardens are open seasonally between Whitsun and September. The Granary Art Gallery is open all year.
> Apply Now