Role Title: Volunteer House Tour Guide
Reporting to: Curatorial & Learning Administrator and Security Supervisor
Accountable to: Curator & Head of Learning and Chief Executive
Weston was the ancestral home to the Earls of Bradford and contains internationally important collections of art and antiques, which reflect the collecting passions of the Newport and Bridgeman families.
Volunteer Guides play an important role within the 17th Century House, ensuring that visitors to the have an informative and enjoyable day. Many groups, including families, children, coach parties and corporate groups visit the House during the open season during Easter and the summer holidays.
Volunteer Tours Guides are required to give visitors guided tours around the main ground floor rooms of the House, providing information about the collection and history of the family.
Purpose of Role:
- To welcome and enhance visitors enjoyment of Weston Park.
- To provide information about the history of the Weston Park House
- Direct the public around the visitor route
- To maintain vigilance and awareness with regards the collection for conservation and security purposes
- To present a welcoming and professional image to all visitors.
- To be based in the House, delivering guided tours alongside the Follow Tour Guide
- To be proactive in approaching and assisting visitors, providing information about the history of the House and collection
- To be pro-active in developing personal knowledge about the history of the House and its contents
- To be aware of other attractions and facilities available on site in order to inform the public
- To care for the collections and items on display by promoting/ensuring their safe and respectful treatment.
- To be aware of, and adhere to, all health and safety guidance in place for the benefit of yourself and those around you.
- To be aware of any dangerous occurrences and report them promptly
- To be clean, smartly dressed and enthusiastic at all times
- To understand the importance of corporate activities at Weston Park, respecting guests attending these and to share relevant information with visiting members of the public
Days and Hours of involvement:
The House is open Sunday to Tuesday during the open season during Easter and school summer holidays. Hours of duty are 12:45 until 5pm. Additional tour duties may arise during the rest of the year.
- An interest in the area you are volunteering within the historically rich house
- Good diction and articulate, particularly when delivering tours
- Must be reliable and punctual for duty days
- Security conscious
- Friendly, outgoing personality, greeting all visitors with a smile
- Enjoys meeting people
- Customer focused
- Health and Safety aware
Length of your commitment to us:
The length of positions varies according to the circumstances of each person.
Weston Park’s House and Gardens are open seasonally between Whitsun and September. The Granary Art Gallery is open all year.
> Apply Now