Role Title: Volunteer MODES Collection Inventory Assistant
Reporting to: Curator & Head of Learning
Accountable to: Curator & Head of Learning and Chief Executive
The Weston Park Foundation is an independent charitable trust with learning and conservation objectives, dedicated to Weston Park, its park and gardens of 1000 acres and the indigenous internationally important collections of fine and decorative art. In addition, the property also has the Granary Art Gallery a free-access contemporary art space that offers monthly changing exhibitions year round.
Weston Park’s inventory of over 30,000 objects is stored on MODES (Museum Object Data Entry System) Complete, a digital database. Around 600 museums, galleries and other organisations throughout the UK use MODES to manage their collection information. Weston Park’s records require continual checking to ensure that data is in the correct fields and that complete records of provenance (where known) are given, especially where the fine art collection is concerned. It is an essential and vital part of the way that they manage the important collection.
The MODES Collection Inventory Assistant will work as a part of the Curatorial & Learning Team reporting to the Curator & Head of Learning and to the Administrator. They will be based in the Curatorial & Learning Department and in the House.
Purpose of Role:
- Methodically cleaning the data on MODES Complete
- Adding photographs for entries where required
- Undertaking cataloguing and learning correct catalogue terms including SPECTRUM terminology with support from the Curator and Administrator
- Checking items to ensure that they are correctly numbered and adding inventory numbers where required
- To develop an intimate understanding of this exceptional country house collection of fine and decorative art
- Collections management and maintenance
Skills and attributes sought for this role include:
- Good organisational skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Interest in collection management
- Understanding of the principles of databases
- Clear and concise writing style
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability in IT applications
- Basic Photography Skills
An induction into Weston Park’s working practices and the work of the department will be given. They will also give on-the-job training for each aspect of the role, including the use of the MODES database and also cataloguing style.
Days and Hours of duty:
They request a minimum of half a day per week, and an ongoing commitment to the project. Dates and times of duties can be arranged to suit the individual.> Apply Now