Museum Development East Midlands (MDEM) and West Midlands Museum Development (WMMD) are delighted to be working with Arts Fundraising & Philanthropy to run the Diversify Your Income programme this autumn.
This support will allow museums and heritage sites across the Midlands to explore and launch new income streams, with support through training and coaching, enabling them to become more resilient organisations.
The intensive programme will allow six organisations from each region to benefit from hands on support as they diversify their income, incorporating:
- Group sessions: three two-hour workshops focusing on
- setting goals for the programme,
- developing pitching and communication skills, and
- a concluding presentation on progress to key stakeholders
- Coaching: each participant will access two one-hour coaching sessions with an expert in their new area of income, benefitting from guidance, knowledge sharing and a sounding board for new ideas
- Network building: support and advice between group sessions through a moderated Slack group, allowing participants to share successes and challenges and build a supportive network in the region
- Training*: a programme of eight two-hour workshops on specific topics around income generation, presenting key theory and case studies and allowing for discussion on practical application. Training dates and topics are:
- Essentials in Fundraising – Wednesday 13 September, 10am-12noon
- Digital Fundraising Campaigns – Monday 25 September, 10am-12noon
- Essentials in Application Writing – Wednesday 4 October, 10am-12noon
- Online Ticketing – w/c 16 October
- Getting Started with E-commerce – w/c 30 October
- Developing Onsite Retail – Tuesday 21 November, 10am-12noon
- Maximising Income from Hires – Friday 1 December, 10am-12noon
- The Role of Trustees in Income Diversification – Thursday 14 December, 10am-12noon
*Participating organisations will have priority places for these regional training sessions. We would encourage museums to sign up for the sessions most relevant to their action plans in this area.
The programme will run from September 2023 to January 2024, with an expected time commitment of one day per month. Additional work will be required to apply learning to active income diversification between sessions. We require all participating organisations to attend the three Group session workshops:
- Group session 1 – Tuesday 5 September, 10am-12noon (online)
- Group session 2 – Wednesday 15 November, 2pm-4pm (online)
- Group session 3 – Wednesday 17 January, 11am-2pm (in person)
Are you eligible?
To be eligible for this programme you need to be an Accredited museum or Working Towards Accreditation in the East or West Midlands. This programme is aimed at organisations with less than 50,000 visitors a year.
East Midlands museums must have completed the MDEM Organisational Health Check within the last two years.
West Midlands museums must complete the WMMD Organisational Health Check as part of the programme (if you haven’t already done so within the past 12 months).
How to apply
For interested organisations who would like to know more we will be holding a Q and A event with Programme Leaders Arts, Fundraising and Philanthropy on Wednesday 21 June 12noon-1pm which is open for anyone to attend without obligation. You can register here.
To submit your application, please review your availability to take part in the key programme dates and complete the Expression of Interest form and return by 5pm, Monday 24 July. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org